Zucchi – Lambrusco Sorbara & Pignoletto
Zucchi (www.vinizucchi.it) is a small, artisanal Lambrusco producer located in Sorbara, heart of the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, where exquisite food rarities such as Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, Modena Balsamic vinegar and Parma ham are produced.
Lambrusco is a low-alcohol, fruit-forward sparkling red wine traditionally grown in the provinces of Modena and Reggio-Emilia from the eponymous native grape, meant to be consumed in the year following the harvest and best paired with simple, flavourful food entries such as salami, sausages, ragout pasta, pizza and young cheeses.
There are many clones of Lambrusco grown throughout the Emilia-Romagna region: Grasparossa, Salamino S.Croce, Sorbara, Maestri ecc. Each clone yields a different style of sparkling red Lambrusco. Most of the Lambrusco imported into the US is made from the widespread, average Grasparossa variety, which results in an inky dark, purplish coloured Lambrusco characterized by grapey, rustic aromas and a chewy, tannic finish.
To the contrary, the Sorbara clone is renowned in the region for producing the most elegant and delicate style of Lambrusco. This is the reason why we decided to represent Zucchi, one of the finest producers operating in the tiny Lambrusco Sorbara Doc appellation. Estate vineyards stretch over 8 Ha, all located in the village of San Prospero / Sorbara. The vineyards are organically farmed and pruned with the traditional Pergola system.
The age of the vines ranges from 25 to 40 years. 80% of the vineyard is planted with Sorbara Lambrusco, the remaining 20% with a native white-berry variety called Pignoletto, grown to produce a delightfully refreshing bone-dry white sparkling wine. Zucchi produces three wines following the traditional Charmat method: Pignoletto Frizzante [bone-dry white sparkling wine], Lambrusco Sorbara Rosato [rose' sparkling wine] and Lambrusco Sorbara Doc [red sparkling wine].